Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Half Stroke

The hardest golf shot I have ever (successfully) hit in my entire golfing life came about three years ago.

It was followed promptly by the easiest golfing shot in my entire life.

The hardest shot was a miraculous save from a bunker, about 175 yards from the center of the green. In between my ball and the hole were two oak trees. They were just in the way enough that I couldn't go straight at the pin, but would have to work around them and shoot for the far side of the green. I aimed for the very edge of the tree line, and steadied my feet in the sand. Somehow, I managed to sculpt the shot around the trees and end up 1" from the hole! (Some might say the incline of the sand trap helped fade the ball just the right amount. Those people would be blinded by jealousy.)

Naturally, I played up the shot for all that it was worth! As I approached the green, I told my golf-mates it was proof that I had missed my calling: I should have been a pro golfer! They chuckled along politely, until...

One of them spoke up, "Seems a shame the next shot counts just as much as the last."

He was right. He meant it as humorous jab, but it reminded me of something that had always bugged me about the game I love: There's no sliding scale of reward in golf.

The shot I hit bunker was clearly more challenging than the tap-in put, but they count the same on the card. Golf is missing what other sports have figured out. In basketball you get one point for an uncontested shot from the foul line, you get 2 ponits for other shots and 3 points for a long range shot.

In golf you count one stroke for a really good shot and the same one stroke for a hanging putt of 1 inch... not fair.

SO............ here is a new proposal:

The Half Stroke. Count only half a stroke for shots like a one inch putt.

Yes? No? Comment! Let me hear your thoughts!

Click on the Comments link below. You can read other's comments and make your own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What defines a half shot and a full shot? Sounds like you're going to have lines all over the greens like a basketball court. Very ugly. Maybe save that for the put put courses.

Anonymous said...

i think you mean only the lsat stroke at the hole...right

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.